May 20, 2011

Friday Fave

The crawfish are swimming up here from Louisiana as I write!

Well maybe flying, but they arrive tomorrow morning and I couldn't be more excited! The lights are strung, the table is set, the pot is ready - all I need to get are the fixings!

In honor of our Cajun-filled weekend, I thought a work by the renowned New Orleans artist Alexander John Drysdale (American 1870-1934) couldn't be more fitting. Drysdale, originally from Georgia, made a name for himself in the Crescent City as landscape artist.  His hazy, dreamy works of the bayou and mossy trees are the epitome of southern tranquility.  He developed a unique method of diluting oil paint to create oil wash - which without, I think his paintings wouldn't be nearly as moving.

Alexander John Drysdale (American 1870-1934), Lovers, Suicide and Dueling Oak
Oil wash on academy board, 1922
The Ogden Museum of Southern Art, New Orleans, LA


Happy Weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment