June 20, 2011

Monday Inspiration: New Twist

Yesterday I discovered a delightful and incredibly delicious twist on a old classic: grilled shrimp. I love peel-and-eat shrimp.  It's my favorite way to eat them.  A few weeks ago, I decided to try grilling unpeeled shrimp....I discovered the hard way that peeling grilled shrimp is no easy task.


So I was searching my cookbooks and my online go-to's for a creative new way to prepare my unpeeled shrimp.  While scouring Epicurious and I stumbled across the technique of brining.  I might be slow to the game, but I had never thought of brining shrimp.


After a 45-minute brine, the shrimp were ready to be placed onto the grill and I crossed my fingers...the shrimp were the most delectable and easy to peel shrimp I've ever had.  The perfect new twist on a dish I thought I knew backwards and forwards.


Enjoy my adapted recipe of this new favorite!  So scrumptious no sauce is even needed!






Brine:
8 cups water
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 lemons, havled
4 garlic cloves, peeled, and crushed in garlic press
3 cups ice

1 pound 16-20-count unpeeled deveined shrimp

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Kosher salt
Freshly ground coarse black pepper



1. Combine water, salt and sugar in a large bowl, stirring till salt and sugar are dissolved.  Squeeze lemon juice into brine and add lemon halves. Stir in the garlic and follow with the ice.
2. Place the shrimp in the brine, cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
3. Preheat a well-oiled charcoal or gas grill to medium.
4. Remove the shrimp from the brine and pat try.  Toss with olive oil in a bowl.
5. Place the shrimp on the grill, close the lid, and cook for 2 minutes. Flip to the second side and grill for 1-2 minutes.
6. Remove from the grill and immediately place in the bowl with the lemon juice, salt and pepper, tossing to coat.





{image and recipe via Epicurious}

1 comment:

  1. Looks just delish. So glad to find your site!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Be sure to enter my exciting Giveaway from the Artisans at Novica! Last day!

    ReplyDelete