July 29, 2011

Friday Fave

I'm currently on my way to New York City to visit with my best high school girlfriends.  We have a fun-filled weekend planned, but I think I'm most excited about my date with the Frick Collection tomorrow morning.

One of the current exhibits is In a New Light: Bellini's St. Francis in the Desert, which I'm elated to see.  I remember sitting in my Venetian art class in Rome and falling in love with Bellini's St. Francis in the Desert. I was shocked to discover that I wouldn't be able to visit the painting during my time abroad...because it was all the way back in New York! Naturally between college, graduation and moving straight to DC, I never did make it to the Frick to see the masterpiece.  So I'm thrilled to see the painting, especially with the new discoveries made during a thorough technical examination of the painting last year. 

Giovanni Bellini (Italian c. 1430/1435–1516), St. Francis in the Desert c. 1475-78, oil on poplar panel, 49 x 55 7⁄8 inches
The Frick  Collection, New York


The exhibit, In a New Light: Bellini's St. Francis in the Desert, runs through August 28th-check it out!

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment